- To help affected families regain psychosocial wellbeing and decrease psychosocial distress and sufferings; aimed at help them resume normal social lives and complementing traditional relief support
- To mitigate the impact of trauma and violence experienced by affected persons through animating positive communication, counseling, group therapies, debriefing sessions and individual treatment.
- To train and empower response teams, social workers, staff and volunteers on various psychological and social issues; and sensitize them on issues related to mental health, self-care, and emergency response.
- To enhance the resilience of affected persons through psychosocial animation workshops, and programs.
- Therapy Approach
Approaches to psychotherapy fall into five broad categories:
- Psychoanalysis and psychodynamic therapies. This approach focuses on changing problematic behaviors, feelings, and thoughts by discovering their unconscious meanings and motivations.
- Behavior therapy. This approach focuses on learner’s role in developing both normal and abnormal behaviors.
- Cognitive therapy. Cognitive therapy emphasizes what people think rather than what they do.
- By changing their thoughts, people can change how they feel and what they do.
- Humanistic therapy. This approach emphasizes people’s capacity to make rational choices and develop to their maximum potential. Concern and respect for others are also important themes.
- Three types of humanistic therapy are especially influential. Client-centered therapy rejects the idea of therapists as authorities on their clients’ inner experiences. Instead, therapists help clients change by emphasizing their concern, care and interest.
- Gestalt therapy emphasizes what it calls “organismic holism,” the importance of being aware of the ‘here and now and accepting responsibility for yourself.
- Existential therapy focuses on free will, self-determination and the search for meaning.
- Integrative or holistic therapy. Many therapists don’t tie themselves to any one approach. Instead, they blend elements from different approaches and tailor their treatment according to each client’s needs.